There’s no denying that this year has been challenging for social media marketing. 2020 was the year of the unexpected, with surprising reception towards online marketing. Even with the unprecedented social media usage recorded this year, we have had to adapt to new strategies to do better. But it taught us the most important thing this decade could, the lesson of being prepared. With this year out on its way though, it’s time to formulate a new strategy for a new year.
In the wake of the pandemic however, the world of social media marketing may be changed for a long time. Preparing for that scenario, we have compiled a list of few social media marketing trends for you that 2021 could be riding on:
● Go where the audience goes – Most people around the world have been limited to their homes during much of the pandemic. With so much free time, what do you think they have been doing? Gaming and YouTube videos are the two trends that have seen the highest activities online. Your brand can take advantage of this situation and make its presence known. Just be careful that they don’t miss missing you.
● Can you hold the memes – The whole internet world is currently running on memes. Every sphere of social media is in on it, from celebrities to businesses. Memes are nothing new, yet in 2020 we have been shown the power that memes can hold in connecting people, and forming a community even around brands. With a lot of time to dedicate on social media, memes have become the prime method of making relatable content online. Brands can cash in on this trend as well.
● ‘Good old days’ for sale – One thing 2020 is not, is all the better things that came before. As such, nostalgia marketing could be the way to win over people longing for better days. The positive emotions connected with the “good old days” can boost current emotions and help make sales, perhaps even a connection. This will help attach positive emotions to your brand, which will further promote your services organically.
● Bringing commerce to social media – Whether, by your genius or the pandemic, your business is now online. Don’t worry, you are just one of the many who are shifting their businesses to social commerce. As per research, around three out of every ten businesses, either already have a social commerce plan or will be implementing one in the next months, it’s the future after all. Social distancing will no longer be an excuse next year in matters of marketing.
● Marketing, it’s a two-way street – It’s no longer the old times when brands can simply announce their service and consumers will just accept it. Social media is flooded with a lot of active and smart netizens now, and it is engagement and information that matters to them. As a brand, you will have to adapt to this two-way street to make loyal customers.
● Authenticity matters to this crowd – In this age of disinformation, it’s hard for consumers to hand over their trust to brands. Yet social media marketing fails without that basic component. Even while spreading the reach of your brand online, it is necessary to remain true to your brand. Be true to yourself and you will have true followers. Also, nine out of ten consumers support brands based on their authenticity. That should be enough motivation, no?
● Whatsapp, what’s going on – With an unusually high number of concurrent internet users this year, there has been a rise in the use of mobile messaging apps. The number of messaging app users is expected to rise to approximately 3 billion by 2023 around the world. One can expect this trend to continue onward in 2021. As a brand, you could grab this opportunity to connect with customers and community alike. Don’t be shy, introduce yourself, go on.
● What’s this social media search engine thing – Internet users are naturally smart people, and they make sure they know what they are buying. Social media provides them with the perfect resource to judge for themselves if they want to buy something. It is also the perfect place for you as a brand to market yourself. You can make use of that 43% of consumers who utilise social media to research products to purchase.
● Hello! Social media customer service – Everyone knows how tiresome contacting customer services can be. As an alternative, some consumers chose to interact with brands on social media platforms instead. With the gates open, more consumers will eventually migrate to social media to resolve their brand-related problems in 2021. As a brand, you could utilise this to provide quality services and gain a loyal following in turn.
● Have some old wine for a new bottle – As it happens with trends, new ones become stale and old ones resurface eventually. Marketing is no different either. Ideas that were discarded before, can suddenly come back, especially during uncertain times. In 2021, we will see a rise in this “old school marketing” as brands go back to a simpler way of engaging consumers.
While this was surely a year of surprises, we have the element of preparedness on our side this time. Armed with lessons from this year, as we make our way for the next, we hope that the major trends above will help guide your brand to success in 2021.